Monday, August 20, 2012

The Window To The World Week 20 On Life of Poets At Hyde Park Poetry Rallys: Becky Sain

Becky Sain Herself, Thanks for the charm adding to our place, ;)



From: Becky Sain


Can you tell us about yourself?

 ~~ I am a single mother to three incredibly kind and wonderfully hip kids. I very much enjoy writing and sharing my writing with others -- I think putting yourself and your writing out there is what is necessary to improve and develop an even better creative process.

Which country do you live in now? What’s your profession? be general, no need to specify your location...

~~ I live the United States, in the south. I am an Autism Consultant with the local school district and have been working with children with Autism for 20 years.

We’re happy that you have been part of Poets Rally as a participant, what has driven you to where you are in this particular community? 

~~ I feel so very lucky to have become a part of the Poets Rally community. The writers I have discovered and become friends with have encouraged me when I needed encouragement and pushed me to dig deeper when I need to. I am so appreciative of this community.

How long have you been blogging? Do you think being part of a poetry community contributes to your creative writing?

~~ I have been blogging for almost three years now. I started the blog to work through some very profound grief I was experiencing. 
~~ I think being here, in this community, has made me a better writer, a writer willing to write from my heart and feel safe in doing so.

Why poetry? Do you write fiction too?

~~ I started writing poetry at a very early age. Being able to put my thoughts into metaphorical and sometimes literal phrases has helped me develop as a person.
~~ I write fiction as well and have shared a few short fiction pieces on my blog. I hope to continue to explore my fiction writing.

Please share 3 to 5 blog links you enjoy reading most, give 1 or 2 sentences to tell why you love their creative process.

http://www.paintedpath.org/ ~~ This blog is my current favorite distraction. The author, Julia Fehrenbacher, is kind and generous and fills me up with the joy that is her. 

http://dychedesigns.blogspot.com/ ~~ This blog opens me up in a way that is peaceful and like breathing straight oxygen. The author, Kathryn Dyche Dichairo, always amazes me with her words and pictures.

http://laurazigman.wordpress.com/ ~~ Okay, this my seem a little different, but this blog keeps me laughing. The author, Laura Zigman, is a best selling author and was the encouragement behind me starting my blog. She is a friend, go visit!

How do you know when a poem is done? your own experiences need to be shared here...

~~ Sometimes, I can start a poem and then stop and not think about it again for a couple of months. Then all of a sudden, I figure put what I wanted to say.

~~ Without sounding too woohoo, the poems usually let me know when they are done. Sometimes I just have to walk away and trust that I've put my heart into the words.

How do you decide when a poem is "good"? Do you redo your own poems after they’re posted? it could be poem someone else written...

~~ I don't think I ever decide a poem is good. I know there are some poems that I feel very content with when I push publish. Sometimes, I read a poem after I've published it and change a word here and there.

Do you think music and poetry are related? Why?

~~ I think music is poetry. There are some songwriters who are incredible poets, the way they combine their thoughts and turn their words into a melody... it amazes me.

What issues are closed to your heart? Women’s rights, child abuses, etc.…name one…

~~ I write mostly about grief, about loss, and about the complexity of relationships (friendships). 

What’s your other hobbies besides writing? Do you have pets?  

~~ I love to make cards. I usually make at least one card a week for a friend. I love knowing someone will smile when they open their mailbox that day.
~~ I have two very misbehaved dogs, although they would disagree.

Please list your blog links below, share 1 or 2 poems that represents best of your poetry talent…



 
I don’t want to write any words

… you’ll just read them and then you’ll talk about them and then a joke will be made and a smirk will be seen and an eyebrow will raise and high fives will be collected and I’ll find myself on the outside of the circle looking through you. But behind the look will be the thought. You’ll think about all the things that could be done from now on because we know we can’t ever go back and undo that tangled feeling that lodged itself in your gut every time I tried and — how — I — tried. No matter how many times I tell you about the better days all you’ll see is how clearly I look when I’m weak. So, I don’t want to write any words that you might read. 

I don’t want to write any words

… but waiting is pointless. This feeling is hit and miss, maybe now maybe later. I’ll sit down and I’ll type the words and I’ll not want to but I will because in spite of all the shouldn’ts I’ve racked up, in spite of all the stupid button pressing, in spite of all the reasons I have to hide my face and tuck my tail and bury my body in the deepest cave… I’ll write these words because I can. I can. I can make you think and make you see and make you question every decision you made. I can. So, I don’t want to write any words when I should wait.
I don’t want to write any words

… but if I don’t they’ll just explode in the space of grayness that surrounds and knock me off my wobbly perch. Those words will keep pouring out of me in a steady flow of memories, moving so fast I can’t slow them down… no control. The mystery I keep trying to solve is me and these words are the only clues I have and each time I try to peek inside your world to see if any parts of me are there, you slap the curiosity so hard… so hard. So hard you slap but the curiosity just grows, it doesn’t stop. It doesn’t slow down. So, I don’t want to write any words that might explode in my face

— but they need me to…

So, I will.


 
this is for the savior of the broken,
the writer of the story,
the singer of the song.
this is for the conjurers of the calamity,
the poets and the poem,
the artist and the collage.
this is for the books,
the words,
the stories we weave,
the mothers,
the fathers,
the way they make us believe.
this is for the gamblers who lose,
but still play the game.
the dreamers who dream,
not afraid of the flame.
this is for the beaten,
the bruised,
the scared,
the nervous,
the hurt,
the shattered,
the stuck.
this is for the ones who get back up,
for every one who dares to move,
for those who keep letting in the light,
for those who stand facing the storm.
this is for the honest,
the conscious,
the diggers,
the searchers,
the seekers.
this is for the quest we don’t walk away from,
the puzzle we want to put together,
the lesson we keep learning.
this is for the blurry eyed star gazers,
the unabashedly flawed teachers,
the unapologetic hand-holders.
this is for you,
and me.


~~ Thank you so much for this opportunity!
Thanks in advance.

2 comments:

Hyde Park Poetry Palace said...

Thanks for the profound interview responses, Becky Sain.

poetryroad said...

Really enjoyed your interview. I think its great you work with Autistic kids.

hyde park poetry week 146, May Birthdays

            mary  Greene     molly Snyder   colorful balloons