Tuesday, February 3, 2015

referring to week 79, the window of the world on life of a poet interview (29): Emmanuel Ibok

below is our interview with a strong supporter to our poetry rally in the past 5 years, many thanks, Ibok

Hello, 

Thank you for choosing me as one of the subjects for your interviews. An honor as always. Please find below my answers: 

1. I am pretty much an easy-going person with a very good sense of humor. A passion-driven individual that will put out the best fight to achieve an objective I believe in. Everyday I look to be a better version of my yesterday-self. I am extrovert but also love my quiet, reflective moments. One of my life objectives is to acquire so much wisdom and knowledge and help spread enlightenment to the circles of humanity I associate with at any and every given time.  

2. I am currently living in Germany where I work as a Business Operations Analyst for one of the Fortune 500. 

3. The Poet's Rally was always an event I looked forward to weekly. It was a pleasure delving into that pile of poetry and basking in the delight of the muse of respective poets. Naturally I contributed my best work each week, and the quality shines through automatically. I appreciate the recognition and respect from the peers and I am humbled to know, without craving, I was able to find a place of relevance in the community. More so, going forward, I hope the Rally kicks back in full gear like we know it can be.

4. I've been blogging for over five years now. I created my blog and published my first post on the 3rd of December 2009. Yes, being part of a poetry community instigates you to want to write more and of course, the more you write the better you get at it. Also, reading others' works, you learn, adapt styles, borrow some concepts. I believe it plays a role. 

5. For me poetry is soul-speak. The ability to capture messages that can easily be lost in this realm. It doesnt have to be personal messages, specific to an individual, but they always end up as messages that a host of individuals can relate to personally - either from experience or empathy. I also write fictions and my own style of poetry which I call philosophical poems - under the Lobby of Thoughts section of my blog. Occasionally I write articles on relationships and wisdom worth sharing. 

6. Two come to mind: Trisha (Realm of Empress Musie): there is an innocence about her writing that is driven by the translation of her muse to reflect unadulterated words.  
Brian Miller (WaystationOne): His ability to presents words powerfully to create a sort of 'words-mosaic' always leaves me amazed each time I read his works. 
7. Well, like cooking, you know when the meal is ready to be served. There is something about the final word of the poem that is synonymous with the feeling you get after you take in the last spoon of the meal, knowing you are satisfied. For me, before I start writing, I already have a vision of the idea I want to present. I begin to conceptualize, visualize and pour them out in words. As the image unravels, the words pour. The final capture of the picture comes with the last word. After which I read again to see if the words perfectly describe the picture I envisioned, do some editing (word swap, rhymes - if I want) and I call it a wrap. 

8. I know a poem is good if I perfectly capture the image of the story I envisioned in words. I also question the logic of the reasoning as a critique. Once it passes the logical test then we call it a good poem. I recently started going through some of my old post to modify some (mild modifications). The modification could be word-swap, expansion of rhymes, more solidification of the logic behind the reasoning. 

9. Music and poetry, for me, are bed-fellows. You cannot take one from the other. Music is poetry with a soundtrack and melody. The lyrics of good music are poetry. That is why artist like Coldplay continue to remain on my all-time list. These guys sing poetry. Some more artistes (across different genres) who I follow dearly possess same ability and sometimes their music inspire me to write, either from the idea of their lyrics or the soul of the melody. 

10. The closest issue to my heart is the poverty and lack of education and enlightenment still lingering in humanity. One of the reasons I studied to obtain a Master in International Business and work in a top global environment was to learn from some of the world best and eventually help create feasible and profitable B-Corporations that helps alleviate the situation and empower some of the occupants of the base of the pyramid. 

11. Aside writing, I like to involve in adventures and challenges. Hiking, mountain climbing, car racing, are some of them. I also enjoy travelling and reading. I have a pet in my home in Nigeria - a German shepherd dog. Her name in Snoopy and just a couple of days ago she put to bed four cute puppies although one died. :) 

12. I do not rate my works one over one another as I see them as children of my brain... and look to love all equally. But if we should explore some of my most heartfelt works: Here's a couple: Meditation & Lest we forget

The Window to The World on Life of A Poet  Questions:
Can you tell us about yourself?
Which country do you live in now? What’s your profession? be general, no need to specify your location...
We’re happy that you have been part of Poets Rally as a participant, what has driven you to where you are in this particular community?
How long have you been blogging? Do you think being part of a poetry community contributes to your creative writing?

Why poetry? Do you write fiction too?

Please share 3 to 5 blog links you enjoy reading most, give 1 or 2 sentences to tell why you love their creative process.

How do you know when a poem is done? your own experiences need to be shared here...
How do you decide when a poem is "good"? Do you redo your own poems after they’re posted? it could be poem someone else written...
Do you think music and poetry are related? Why?

What issues are closed to your heart? Women’s rights, child abuses, etc.…name one…
What’s your other hobbies besides writing? Do you have pets? Give us a picture if you own a pet.

Please list your blog links below, share 1 or 2 poems that represents best of your poetry talent…
Thanks in advance.

Attached a picture of yourself  or your pets if you could…

5 comments:

Hyde Park Poetry Palace said...

thanks, ibok,
great information.

Anonymous said...

powerful information.

Unknown said...

lovely interview.

Anonymous said...

nice one.

Anonymous said...

deep and smart thinking.

hyde park poetry week 146, May Birthdays

            mary  Greene     molly Snyder   colorful balloons