Monday, December 3, 2018

the window to the world on life of a poet interview: marit rogne

Hi Maggie,

Sorry to be getting back to you so now. Hopefully it is not too late! Answers to The Window to the World on Life of a Poet are below.

Thanks!
Marit

The Window to The World on Life of A Poet  Questions:
Can you tell us about yourself?

I'm a twenty-something writer who loves reading, birds, polaroid photography, and resilience. 
Which country do you live in now? What’s your profession? be general, no need to specify your location...

I live in the United States, and I teach Secondary Language Arts. 

We’re happy that you have been part of Poets Rally as a participant, what has driven you to where you are in this particular community? 

For me, being part of a poetry community is essential. I relish the opportunity to read other poet's work. I also appreciate the feedback and critique on my own work. 
How long have you been blogging? Do you think being part of a poetry community contributes to your creative writing?

I've been blogging since 2008. Being part of a poetry community contributes to my creative writing because it provides me with camaraderie and a sense of solidarity. It's a great way to connect with other poets. 

Why poetry? Do you write fiction too?

I started out writing strictly fiction. Actually, I used to hate poetry. I was lucky enough to have a teacher in High School who told me the problem was I hadn't been reading the right poems. He was right.
Please share 3 to 5 blog links you enjoy reading most, give 1 or 2 sentences to tell why you love their creative process.

http://www.waystationone.com -- I love his style. It reminds me a little of e.e. cummings, but he's made it his own. 

http://stardreamingwithsherrybluesky.blogspot.ca -- It's awesome how she often provides a backstory to her poetry with either photos or prose. Also, she's an incredibly evocative writer. 

http://susanspoetry.blogspot.com/2015/02/not-beyond-us.html -- Her imagery is amazing. I also love her line breaks!

http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/ -- All of her poems really make me think. Also, it seems like nothing she writes is by accident. Super intelligent work.

How do you know when a poem is done? your own experiences need to be shared here...

I often come back to poems I wrote years ago to make changes. I've only written a handful or so of poems that I consider to be really, truly "done." I post poems when I feel like I've adequately expressed what I want to express in the moment, but that can change over time as I gain perspective. Constructive feedback can also make me rethink a poem I thought was done. 
How do you decide when a poem is "good"? Do you redo your own poems after they’re posted? it could be poem someone else written...

I judge poems written by others to be good when they leave me somewhere different than where I began when I started reading the poem. This could be because it made me think, put me in a different place emotionally, or any number of reasons.
Do you think music and poetry are related? Why?

I think music and poetry are definitely related! Ezra Pound said it best: "Music begins to atrophy when it departs too far from the dance... poetry begins to atrophy when it gets too far from music."
What issues are closed to your heart? Women’s rights, child abuses, etc.…name one…

All human rights issues.
What’s your other hobbies besides writing? Do you have pets? Give us a picture if you own a pet.

I am learning to cook, and I coach middle school track. I have three lovely finches -- I've attached a photo of one of them, a society finch named Orestes. 
Please list your blog links below, share 1 or 2 poems that represents best of your poetry talent…
Thanks in advance.

hyde park poetry week 146, May Birthdays

            mary  Greene     molly Snyder   colorful balloons