Monday, March 5, 2012

The Window to The World on Life of A Poet Week 12: Kay Salady

Can you tell us about yourself?  

I am a published author and featured writer for Global Light Minds Magazine. Some of my work has also been published in the Global Peace Journal in Meerut, India.


Which country do you live in now?

USA

What’s your profession?

I'm a writer.


We’re happy that you have been part of Poets Rally as a participant, what has driven you to where you are in this particular community?  


I was invited by Jingle to participate in this community.  I have learned a great deal from the participants here and I am humbled when I read the work submitted each week.


How long have you been blogging?

Since 2006  

Do you think being part of a poetry community contributes to your creative writing?  

I feel the prompts and writing exercises have definitely encouraged me to be more versatile.


Please share 3 to 5 blog links you enjoy reading most, give 1 or 2 sentences to tell why you love their creative process.


I have really looked forward to reading Steven's writing each week.  He writes with such romanticism and with such a unique flare for imagery that takes the reader on a trip to wherever he leads them with the tip of his pen.


Donna writes with both her heart and soul.  Taking her readers on wondrous adventures via every emotion there is, Donna painstakingly creates masterpiece after masterpiece and she does it with love!


Aynsley goes wherever her thoughts lead her.  Her writing is real, honest and straightforward.  Oftentimes, writers go unnoticed due to the fact that they do not have a certain flair or edge.  However, she has something extremely special - she's Aynsley.  I like her.


Not only is Jacqui's artwork and photography breathtaking, but her portrayal of life's color in an ordinary day is just as abundantly vivid.  Her writing literally splashes multicolored hues across the page.  What a peaceful experience!


Samer's writing is filled with deep emotion and it's so earthy.  His work reminds me of Pablo Neruda's.  If you want to read something good, read Your Smile.  

How do you know when a poem is done?  

There have been times when I've overwritten a piece.  It's like working on a painting and realizing you've used too much color.  You just know. 

How do you decide when a poem is "good"?  

Because I wrote it and I've found acceptance with my writing.  Do you redo your own poems after they’re posted? No, I do not.  I may make corrections to my grammar, but that's it.

Do you think music and poetry are related?  

Yes, I do.  Why?  For example, I've asked numerous people if they like poetry and they've answered they do not.  But when I ask them if they like music, nearly every time they answer they do like music.  I ask them if they like the lyrics to the music they listen to and they tell me they like the lyrics.  I then say, "You like poetry because poetry is  the lyrics to the song!"  When we write, we are writing the song that our hearts are playing, and we give this song to the world.  For me, much of what I write, in actuality, are song lyrics.


What issues are close to your heart? Women’s rights, child abuses, etc.…name one…

Solve the world's issues and we have one answer:  Peace.  Will we attain it?  The only way to do so is to live it within ourselves one person at a time.  All of the great scholars, gurus, etc., have taught that love, peace and God reside within the core of humankind.  It is my greatest hope that I set an example of peace. 


What’s your other hobbies besides writing?  Meditation, belly dance, martial arts, swimming.  Do you have pets?


Yes, my dog Honey.  My daughter and I adopted her seven months ago.  She is three years old and a Shepherd/Whippet mix. Give us a picture if you own a pet.

Please list your blog links below, share 1 or 2 poems that represents best of your poetry talent…
Thanks in advance.

I’d Paint Peace

If I could paint a masterpiece
I’d paint a world that echoed peace
Upon the wind and across the land
Inside the heart of every man

I’d paint a sky of clearest blue
Where rainbow wishes all came true
With fluffy clouds that gathered dreams
Within their silver-crested seams

I’d dip my brush in paint so pure
To paint a land that felt secure
Where children in her bosom lay
In fields of green to gently play

There would be golden daffodils
Atop the rolling amber hills
Where shadows of their unity
Could somehow set the captive free

A splash of paint upon the page
Had run the river toward the sage
Who dared to give the world release
By painting words that offered peace

Kay Salady
September Issue - Global Peace Journal
Jaina Printers, Meerut, India


Alpha Woman

Deep within the alpha woman lies the seed of humankind
Waiting in her still dark waters to gather in the gift she finds
To awaken love and light that glow so brightly from her eyes
She lifts her arms to inhale the perfumed air that fills the skies
Beneath her feet the bliss resides just outside an open door
Lotus blooms to greet the small one making entrance as those before
She is fire and she is water she is earth and she is wind
She has arms with which to cradle a ring of love that time transcends
The warrior maiden who does battle to save her species what may defy
With head held high singing her anthem the earth’s most sacred lullaby

©Kay Salady



2 comments:

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

lovely interview.

keep it up.

Kay.

Talent Show said...

That was an amazing post thanks for sharing..

hyde park poetry week 146, May Birthdays

            mary  Greene     molly Snyder   colorful balloons