Monday, March 30, 2015

referring to week 81, the window to the world: interview of life of a poet (31): Rahul Chidambaran and Miriam


Can you tell us about yourself?


My name is Rahul and my blog handle is Foxy. I am 28 unless you are reading this post the 9th of February, in which case I will be 29. I love music, words and food. I don't know what else to say here but I guess the following questions should make me clearer.



Which country do you live in now? What’s your profession? be general, no need to specify your location...


I live in Bangalore, India. I am a full time musician and sound engineer.


We’re happy that you have been part of Poets Rally as a participant, what has driven you to where you are in this particular community? 



I started blogging as a need to be creative while being in a mundane corporate job. I found Poets Rally as I also like having an audience.


How long have you been blogging? Do you think being part of a poetry community contributes to your creative writing?


I am not sure! My first blog ever was this one, Rants That Rhyme and my first post on it was in January 2011. That makes it about 4 years now? Being part of the community does help.



Why poetry? Do you write fiction too?



I forced myself to learn how to write poetry/lyrics because I am a musician. I haven't written any fiction yet but I do intend to. As of now, I really enjoy writing poetry.




Please share 3 to 5 blog links you enjoy reading most, give 1 or 2 sentences to tell why you love their creative process.






I love the above three because they paint with words. The colors are all vivid.


How do you know when a poem is done? your own experiences need to be shared here...



I just know. Most of my poetry is not too long. It is done when the message is communicated. If it is going to be really short, I try to make it a haiku.


How do you decide when a poem is "good"? Do you redo your own poems after they’re posted? it could be poem someone else written...



I don't know. If it feels good I guess. I need to be able to read it back and say to myself, yea that's a good a poem. I don't redo my poems. I will only correct spelling errors that I did not intend.


Do you think music and poetry are related? Why?



To me they are. I am a musician to begin with. I started writing so that I can sing. Beyond that when poetry is performed as spoken word, it is musical. Depending on how emphasis is given to certain words while applying a kind of rhythm and intentional spacing of words, it is all very musical.




What issues are closed to your heart? Women’s rights, child abuses, etc.…name one…


Physical/sexual mistreatment of women and children get my blood boiling. When the consent is devalued it is terrible. 




What’s your other hobbies besides writing? Do you have pets? Give us a picture if you own a pet.


I play bass and guitar. I sing too. Most of my hobbies involve something creative like this. I used to have cats but not anymore.


Please list your blog links below, share 1 or 2 poems that represents best of your poetry talent…



Tough to choose but I'll try:



There are more that I like but these are the most recent ones. Feel free to read on.

Thanks in advance.

I have attached a picture as you requested.


If you need anything else do let me know.

Cheers,
Rahul


Now, here comes our second star of the day:

Can you tell us about yourself?
I'm 60 years old, have been writing my whole life, and have published more than 25 books of poetry, fiction, and memoir.

Which country do you live in now? What’s your profession? be general, no need to specify your location...
I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico USA and run a creative writing program at the local community college.
We’re happy that you have been part of Poets Rally as a participant, what has driven you to where you are in this particular community? 
I just enjoy the reading and commenting.

How long have you been blogging? Do you think being part of a poetry community contributes to your creative writing?
Blogging five years! It started as an experiment and I love it. Yes, community helps support creativity.

Why poetry? Do you write fiction too?
Poetry for its impulse, flash, burst, music, feeling. I write fiction more to observe the social world.

Please share 3 to 5 blog links you enjoy reading most, give 1 or 2 sentences to tell why you love their creative process.

Issa's Untidy Hut--http://lilliputreview.blogspot.com/--great haiku

FAT MATTERS--fatmatters.wordpress.com--social commentary on obesity from an insider

The Friday Influence--https://thefridayinfluence.wordpress.com--good overall poetry blog

How do you know when a poem is done? your own experiences need to be shared here...

I'm not sure it is ever done--I just tend to move on at some point

How do you decide when a poem is "good"? Do you redo your own poems after they’re posted? it could be poem someone else written...

Yes, a poem might be revised after it has been posted or published--particularly if it is going into a book.


Do you think music and poetry are related? Why?

Poetry comes from music, historically, in most cultures.

What issues are closed to your heart? Women’s rights, child abuses, etc.…name one…
Ecological destruction, salinization, desertification, drinking water, and militarized use  of land.
What’s your other hobbies besides writing? Do you have pets? Give us a picture if you own a pet.
I love archeology, particularly local. I like to garden, knit, embroider and go to the opera. Giving advice is my biggest hobby!

Please list your blog links below, share 1 or 2 poems that represents best of your poetry talent…

Miriam's Well--http://miriamswell.wordpress.com

St. Death

Santa Muerte is not enclosed
behind the grill
of a roadside shrine on the border

but like a descansos
might be
anywhere, everywhere, a corner

even in the automatic
thumbed cross
of gangsters’ mouths

or those who die
with chapped prayers on their lips
or those who curse

saying: fuck this
or those tethered
to the morphine drip

a calavera
printed on a scarf, socks
a sugar cookie

I think of you—
and you—and you
the increasing crew

of my beloved
half-remembered dead
and lean on my cane

on the snowy path
in the Chiricahuas
and think about nothing but

lichen on rock
and time’s lovely
gnarled driftwood.



Thanks in advance.

6 comments:

Pat-Mather Brown Gordon-ceton said...

two poets with personal notes, wow.

Alissa Meredith Jill Osborn Schapiro said...

nice one.

Alissa Meredith Jill Osborn Schapiro said...

nice one.

Anonymous said...

lovely poetry talents.

twohills said...

powerful.

Unknown said...

Yes, great US Military force. Also, in his post you have given a chance to listen about US Military. I really appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing it. Cold Washed Pet Flakes

hyde park poetry poets rally on thursdays week 144 , busy walks, spring break, mixed weather

          heavy machinery   young high school students