Thursday, April 25, 2019

the window to the world on life of a poet: Tim Schaefer



 The Window to the World on Life of A Poet Questions:

Can you tell us about yourself?

 I was a rock n roll radio deejay for many years, working inside and outside the continental United States. So I've always been in the "communication" business. Language was invented for the purpose of communication, and that's the way I feel about poetry--that it should communicate something understandable to someone, even if the reader has to work a little to understand it. I like it when readers come up with different interpretations of my poems. 

Which country do you live in now? What’s your profession? be general, no need to specify your location...

I live in Arizona, USA. I still host some music shows on one of the local radio stations. 

We’re happy that you have been part of Poets Rally as a participant, what has driven you to where you are in this particular community? 
II was a part of this community a while back, and then I lost track of it, so I'm happy to see that it is back and going strong. It provides a place for poets to come together and share their work, and I think that's important. 

How long have you been blogging? Do you think being part of a poetry community contributes to your creative writing?


 I have had my blog, "Catnip" for about seven years now. Being part of a community such as this one provides an impetus for me to write, because I know that people will be reading it. I write, primarily, because it's just in there and it needs to come out, but it's nice to know that it will be read and appreciated (maybe) too!

Why poetry? Do you write fiction too?

 Yes, I also write fiction and non-fiction. I have a memoir that has been published, entitled "Darwin's Moon" (A Memoir of Pain and Glory in Poetry and Prose). But poetry often says more with fewer words than some novels I've read, and that's why I like it.

Please share 3 to 5 blog links you enjoy reading most, give 1 or 2 sentences to tell why you love their creative process.

I'll give you three (though there are many more) of my favorites. The first is "cat" (she doesn't capitalize her name) and she blogs out of Canada. Her poems are often intensely personal, reflective, introspective. She isn't afraid to reveal pain, or joy. And it always comes from the heart. Find her at:  catsruledogsdroole.blogspot.com  

Next is "Magyar" at Magyar Haiku. Haiku is one of my favorite forms, and he is a master of the form.  I am constantly amazed at how he can give me goosebumps in just three short lines!  He blogs from the New England area, USA, at: magyar-haiku.blogspot.com

And then we have Selma, of Selma In The City, an Australian writer of considerable talent, and that's an understatement. Her writing is poignant, haunting, and stays with you long after you read it. She has the uncanny ability (which can't be taught) to reach right in and grab you by the heart.     selmainthecity.com

How do you know when a poem is done? your own experiences need to be shared here...

I've heard some say that a poem is never done, you just stop tinkering with it at some point. In some sense, that may be true. For me, a poem is done when I feel satisfied with it, plain and simple. When I feel the essence of what I want to say has been communicated effectively.

How do you decide when a poem is "good"? Do you redo your own poems after they’re posted? it could be poem someone else written...

For I know a poem that someone else has written is good when it gives me goosebumps. When the hair on the back of my neck stands up!  I do occasionally make minor changes to a poem after it has been posted, because sometimes, like a kid, I'm anxious to get it out there before it is fully ready. 

Do you think music and poetry are related? Why?

There is definitely a musicality to good poetry. The rhythm of it.  Rap music, for example, is essentially poetry set to a beat. And some of the best songs I've ever heard are pure poetry, like "Elusive Butterfly" by Bob Lind.

What issues are closed to your heart? Women’s rights, child abuses, etc.…name one

I'd have to say freedom of speech is number one with me. We saw recently in France how important it is to people worldwide. If free speech is curtailed, then poets have nowhere to go, because poetry is about speaking the truth. 

What’s your other hobbies besides writing? Do you have pets? Give us a picture if you own a pet.

I live where the weather is warm, so I like to get out and hike and pursue other outdoor activities. I also love films, and I do a film review blog called "Timmy's Noodle Film Reviews." I have two cats, currently, though in the past I had several dogs as well. It does get chilly here sometimes at night,  and my cats are much friendlier in the winter time than in the summer.They are right there on top of me whenever I sit down. I'd like to think it's because I'm so lovable, but the truth is they are using me as a heating blanket!

Please list your blog links below, share 1 or 2 poems that represents best of your poetry talent…

Thanks in advance.

COOL BLUE EYES

Here in your world
of fantasy and fury
I wait in limbo
like a poem you've read
but won't allow to touch you
while you studiously
examine each word
for traces of toxicity
and hidden meaning
thoughts tumbling
round and round
in a spinning dream
gun sights rotating for
enemies imagined
while I bring only flowers
to place in the barrel
it's your mind
you are at war with
your anger
simmering
shimmering
behind cool blue eyes
mercurial
on an already sweltering day
firing randomly
at anything that moves
and I must duck and cover
waiting for the all clear to sound
to shoot you
my disarming smile


MATERIAL WITNESS

I saw you again
at the last red light
the girl on the billboard
flagging a ride
to catch a flight

But all wings
to the City Of Angels
were grounded by fog
so we taxied around
until we found
a cheap room

There were clean sheets
but no Bible

You kissed me awake
with your haunted eyes
ran your hands
down my worn Levis

We poured the wine
and talked about how it feels
to
be
frozen
in
time

You said: How is it effected
this transformation
from image to cell?
I said: I learned it once
in a madhouse
just a place we called hell
and you're a material witness

With the dawn
a woman's voice
singing an ancient tune

Your picture in the paper
an apparent suicide
from the east side
of the river

The girl on the billboard
at the last red light
the fog had lifted
at last she made her flight

  

(I think it's all here, but let me know if you need anything else. Photo attached. When will this be posted?  Thanks so much!)

hyde park poetry week 146, May Birthdays

            mary  Greene     molly Snyder   colorful balloons