Monday, January 9, 2012

The Window to The World on Life of A Poet Week 9




Can you tell us about yourself?

I am the mother of two adult daughters.  I am one in a family of six children who are very close and happy with each other!  I seem to be retired from work at the current time and have put this now-free time towards writing.  I also am spending more time with my elderly mother, assisting her in doctors’ appointments and errands.

 Which country do you live in now? What’s your profession? be general, no need to specify your location...

I live in the United States in the southern state of Florida.  I have mostly worked in office environments including law offices as a legal assistant.


We’re happy that you have been part of Poets Rally as a participant, also an official, what has driven you to where you are in this particular community?

I’m equally happy to be in the company of such talented and generous people.  I owe my relationship to the Poet’s Rally to my friend, Sharmishtha Basu.  She encouraged me to join shortly after I started my blog after I had asked her how I could attract some “business” to my blog!


How long have you been blogging? Do you think being part of a poetry community contributes to your writing?

Just over a year.  Yes, it has broadened my writing skills.  I had never written poetry before joining and now I have even gone so far as to teach myself some of the different forms.  It’s a wonderful way to express myself.


Why poetry? Do you write fiction too?

Poetry was a brand new challenge to me; I’m really enjoying it.  I’ve written some fiction by different prompts that have been offered--that has been fun to try as well.  I’ve also written some memoir.


Please share 3 to 5 blog links you enjoy reading most, give 2 or 3 sentences to tell why you love their creative process.


http://musingbymoonlight.com  Musing by Moonlight is one of several blogs of Jamie Dedes .  She posts a variety of informative, educational and sometimes light-hearted writings which may include videos.  She also writes heartfelt and expressive poetry. 
Jamie also writes under http://ourpeaceablekingdom.wordpress.com/; The Cat’s Meow, with stories of and pertaining to animals and 

http://intothebardo.wordpress.com/; Explorations in Sacred Space which she shares with two other writers and entertains guests there on occasion.  I love my good friend, Isadora’s blog  

http://insidethemindofisadora.wordpress.com/ who I met in a memoir writing group previous to creating a blog.  Her work is straight from her heart and includes very touching memoir.  She also has written some fiction which has included a series of writings for children.  She also is trying her hand at poetry writing--a beginner like me, but already getting a strong following of admirers.  My favorite blog has been my friend 


Trisha Basu’s--she has several that she keeps pretty busy writing poetry, short stories, essays and commentaries on societal and political matters of the world.  She is very smart, astute and warm hearted.  http://mydomainpvt.wordpress.com/ and http://etherealheights.wordpress.com/

"Victoria Ceretto-Slotto http://liv2write2day.wordpress.com/.  She has been someone so important to my learning so very much through her Monday Morning Writing Prompts and her tireless encouragement and generous compliments.  I look forward to her postings every week.  They are filled with information and are educational and engaging.  She writes wonderful poetry and is gifted in her writing."


 How do you know when a poem is ready to be posted?

I read it over and edit it, proofreading for spelling errors and grammatical mistakes.  Sometimes they’re ready pretty quickly--other times they sit awhile and I revisit them several times before I am satisfied with the wording and flow.  Then I just shove it out there for the world to see!

 How do you decide when a poem is good? Do you redo your own poems after they’re posted?

I don’t really know.  Sometimes I write something that I’m pretty pleased with and other times I just write my feelings and it’s more of expressing something inside rather than whether it’s “good” or not.  I have changed a word or two after posting--I’m grateful for that edit button.

 Do you think music and poetry are related? Why?

Absolutely!  Words to music are poetry.


What issues are closed to your heart? Women’s rights, child abuses, etc.…name one…

Abuse of anyone is wrong but particularly to defenseless children.  They don’t have a voice, it is up to all of us in our “villages” to speak up and out for the protection of the world’s children.


What’s your other hobbies besides writing? Do you have pets? Give us a picture if you own a pet.

I love to read--is that a hobby?  I also love gardening.  Planting something and nurturing it to grow and be healthy and beautiful is equally nurturing to my soul.  I have a very dear cat named Sita.  She’s a very good friend and companion--she’s a tabby--and very feminine and girly.



Please list your blog links below, share 1 or 2 poems that represents best of your poetry talent…
Thanks in advance.


I like this one because it was so difficult for me to do!  It’s a sestina--whew!

A Lifetime Ago

A lifetime ago we said our vows
Meaningfully and sure we gazed with love
Words and feelings touched our hearts
Entrusted together until breath’s end part
Bride with honor as her intention
Groom to guide and bid me follow
I allowed your lead; we had a path to follow
My trust placed in you through solemn vow
Our course clearly directed our intention
Life settled in--I thought I'd found love
But egoic authority threatened to part
It began the total breaking of hearts
What most call love, I know now is less heart
Than foolish games that we follow
These games are sure to wedge apart
Meaningless and hollow became those vows
Our life’s truth gone the way of “love”
Now day to day survival is our intention
Can we return to our true intention
Or will tortured psyches ruin our hearts
My mind is reeling; where is love
Your weaving path I will not follow
Belief no longer binds me to vows
To find freedom’s release is my part
Two now fragmented into parts
No longer sharing life’s intention
My eye of knowing avers my vow
Myself to depend with open heart
No longer needing someone to follow
I nurture myself with limitless love
Internal knowledge my source of love
Finding the whole that was never apart
Footsteps I take without following
Turning inward affirms my intention
The One has always held my heart
To look to myself my only vow
Find all love through love’s intention
Without division, it’s not apart--it resides entirely in your heart
There’s no one to follow and no need for vows


I like this one because I support and am a member of Amnesty International.  What they do is very important for the rights of people worldwide.


Conscience...

Don’t speak up
and see what transpires
when you don’t add your voice
to atrocities seen.

Don’t speak out
when outraged and incensed,
then the outrage will be
that your silence was kept.

Prisoners of conscience
don’t have a say,
their rights have been taken
and many enslaved.

There’s many held captive,
tortured and raped--
stand up against these injustices
before it’s too late.

Our lives are filled
with everyday scenes
where societies are crumbling
but we won’t hear the screams.

Too many turn a blind eye
and ears deafened by choice,
what a shame, what a tragedy--
what is our unease?

People worldwide are needlessly dying,
by the tainted hands of corruption.
We can stop it; we can help
through all of us uniting.

Speak out, join forces
with all others who care
and write letters of protest
opposing all tyranny.
 Open your eyes, don’t look away--
your compassion is desperately needed.
So unlock your heart and don’t delay,
join Amnesty International--before the end of this day.


Gayle Walters Rose  (Bodhirose) Image Credits: Gayle...
Sita

2 comments:

Hyde Park Poetry Palace said...

oh, you are such a rich resource to us, girl poet.

keep it up.

:)

Natalie said...

Thanks for caring about kids in your life.

hyde park poetry poets rally on thursdays week 144 , busy walks, spring break, mixed weather

          heavy machinery   young high school students