Monday, April 2, 2012

The Window To The World on Life of A Poet Week 14: Mary Grace Guevara


 Can you tell us about yourself?  

I am a person who enjoys learning and doing my best in whatever I do.
I still have a long list to things to do in my life (and no, I am not that young in years).  
Though I am a late bloomer in writing and blogging, I am loving it.  

Which country do you live in now? What’s your profession? be general, no need to specify your location...

I live in Ontario , Canada for the past 7 years.    I work in Toronto City as Financial Analyst of a big insurance company.   This is actually a new career for me - just 2 months.     But I am enjoying the challenge and working in a bigger office.  

We’re happy that you have been part of Poets Rally as a participant, what has driven you to where you are in this particular community? 

Your site has provided me the opportunity to meet new bloggers and new writers.    As someone else has encouraged me to continue writing, I now share the gift of encouragement through my comments and visits to other bloggers.   

How long have you been blogging? Do you think being part of a poetry community contributes to your creative writing?

My blog, Sweet Lust, http://a-sweetlust.blogspot.com/

was launched April 2010, less than one year.    I started linking up to communities when I followed Brian Miller, and then followed his friends, which lead me to more poetry communities like yours.    Poetry communities help me sharpen my craft and try out different writing styles and poetry forms.  I enjoy versatility and have tried writing in different forms, long and short forms.   I am still learning, but it certainly broadens my appreciation for the art of writing.    Also the comments of other bloggers are very encouraging and after a while, you get to know them and their style of writing. 

Why poetry? Do you write fiction too?

My words and phrases flow like the verses I write...so poetry form suits my style.   And I have experimented with different poetry forms as well.   I am trying to write longer in fiction format but it is still a work in progress.  I can't write straight fiction yet but I am easing into the style.      


Please share 3 to 5 blog links you enjoy reading most, give 1 or 2 sentences to tell why you love their creative process.

It is hard to choose among the many talented friends in the blogger world specially belonging to D’Verse Poets Pub and Imaginary Garden with Real Toads.   

But I will share one link because he has the biggest heart:   Brian Miller of


His words resonate strongly with me and his messages are very meaningful.  And his versatility in writing is what I am aspiring for.  

How do you know when a poem is done? your own experiences need to be shared here...

When I write off the cuff, based on an idea or picture, I let my pen spill out the words and without editing at first.   Just write a word, then more words, then a phrase, until all of it comes out.   At the start, it was like wringing water from rocks (I had a hard time writing) but slowly as days go by and as I write more and more, the words flow out easily and faster.  

When I write with a poetry form in mind, I have to consciously choose words to fit the rules like the rhyming and syllable like haiku or tanka or Burns Stanza.   I use the online dictionary and thesaurus to help me here.   If the prompt is about poetry forms, it takes me time to compose one as I am not used to writing in this manner.

Sometimes, I need to post it before the linky prompt expires even though it is not “perfect yet”.    Writing under time constraints is good for me so I am really pressured to finish it.    If still unfinished though, I post it under drafts and just continue it later for another poetry or writing prompt.  

How do you decide when a poem is "good"? Do you redo your own poems after they’re posted? it could be poem someone else written...

I put on my critic cap to check my writing but of course, it is never “good” unless someone comments or critiques it.   The best of course is to have a critique partner but I have none and due to time constraints,  I just post whatever I have written.    Because I am now exposed to better writers, I don’t think my post is “very good” that it can’t be revised later on.  If I think of better word or phrase later on, I edit but sometimes I just let it be as it captures the moment of my thoughts.      

Do you think music and poetry are related? Why?

Yes, it is.  Music is poetry singing and dancing.   I see writers being moved by music and musicians being inspired by poetry.

For me though, I write in complete silence.  It just works for me.

What issues are closed to your heart? Women’s rights, child abuses, etc.…name one…

Though I write about love and intimacy, women's abuse is an issue close to my heart.  I have written about women's freedom and well being in my blog a couple of times.   In other countries and in other cultures, women are not given the same respect, freedom and independence to live her life.   I see this around me, though I live in a relatively free and compassionate country. 


What’s your other hobbies besides writing? Do you have pets? Give us a picture if you own a pet.

I enjoy reading stories and novels from suspense, adventure, romance and most specially crime/detective genre.     Reading improves your writing and widens your appreciation for words and themes.   Aside from this, my life is hectic with trying to manage my personal family life and working.   The little time I have I spend on writing and reading.        
   
No, I don’t have a pet.  

Please list your blog links below, share 1 or 2 poems that represents best of your poetry talent…

I don’t think I have written my best posts yet.   But these are my favorites ones:


Sweet Lust:



Everyday Amazing:



No comments:

hyde park poetry poetry palace on thursdays week 145, international poetry month in april, april 1 ---april 31, 2024, 12th year,

     international nutrition month, it is here for good assumption